Sunday, March 18, 2012

IRL

So, admittedly, I love baby animals. Well, to make that more clear, I love fuzzy and furry animals.

You probably guessed it would come to this, but I joined a small listserv put together by a friend, and friends of friends, about animals. So throughout the day, I get a steady stream of animal news. It's awesome.

For example, I learned about this fuzzy creature:



Seriously, a snowboarding possum...

This week is the first episode of what promises to be the greatest show ever: Frozen Planet, narrated by Alec Baldwin.



In fact, it's so awesome that TWO penguins were flown to New York to see it



HOW DO PENGUINS FLY??? ON A PLANE! HAHAHAHAHAHA

So, natch, Animalist is getting together IRL as Howard Rheingold put it, to see the screening of Frozen Planet at my house. I don't know if I've messed up by inviting one or two other people to Frozen Planet - if it will mess up the vibe - but I'm pretty stoked about Frozen Planet. It will be, in a word, awesome.

But it will also be one of those great examples that is so rare now where I've heard people's names, don't know them on facebook, and only know most of them from their good humored postings on animalist. So this is online community circa 1993.

2 comments:

  1. OMG I love the snowboarding possum!!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG YAY FROZEN PLANET! I'm interning at Discovery Channel right now and they have posters of the show all around the building. I am so glad you're watching it! It looks amazing

    ReplyDelete